Wednesday 31 October 2012

Chanel 'The Little Black Jacket' exhibition - Part I

On Sunday I travelled up to London to catch Chanel's 'The Little Black Jacket' exhibition at the Saatchi Gallery. I had been looking forward to the exhibition ever since details were announced in August. I whiled away the three and a half hour bus journey by immersing myself in the latest edition of 'Vogue' and doing some online retail research on the Acne 'Pistol' boot.



Anna Wintour

Charlotte Casiraghi, model (and grand-daughter of Grace Kelly!)

I had never been to the Saatchi Gallery before, but it was easy enough to find my way there from Sloane Square tube station, by going in the opposite direction to the crowds of people walking towards me with their 'The Little Black Jacket' posters clutched in their hands! Not surprisingly given the area, and the nature of the exhibition, I also spotted more than a few Chanel 2.55 bags. As I am a lover of all things Chanel, I am sure  that you won't be surprised to discover that the 2.55 is firmly at the top of my handbag wish-list.

Sofia Coppola

Scarlett Utzmann Huynh, daugher of Carine Roitfeld's assistant

I loved the exhibition. It is such a simple concept, but executed with a combination of style, humour and sophistication. Although of course one would expect nothing less from Karl Lagerfeld and Carine Roitfeld. I had seen some of the images before on the internet, but they were no substitute for seeing the images on a larger scale. The photographs were very simply presented, which allowed you to focus on the individuals in the photograph, and how they were wearing the little back jacket. One of the things that I loved about the exhibition was the diversity of the individuals in the photographs: men and women; small children and older ladies; fashion designers and rap stars.

Waris Ahluwalia , actor

Elizabeth Olsen, actress

Everyone visiting the exhibition was allowed to choose one of three posters: Georgia May Jagger; Lily Donaldson or Astrid Berges-Frisbey. I opted for the Lily Donaldson poster, as I liked the combination of the sophisticated black jacket with the punk styling. Judging by the number of bored-looking boyfriends and four year old children in the queue clutching posters, I think some people managed to get all three posters. 

Lily Donaldson

Last Sunday was supposed to be the last day of the exhibition, but it has been extended due to popular demand. The exhibition will now run until November 4th. I would highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...