Wednesday 19 September 2012

Guest post: Is it possible to become your own style icon?

While you are reading this, I am on holiday in Italy. I had a fantastic time there last year and have been looking forward to going back ever since I came home last year! However I haven't forgotten about my blog. While I am away I have lined up some lovely ladies to write some guest posts. First up is my fellow member of the Cardiff Blogs team, Sian.

***

Having a style isn't easy. There are so many options to choose from as we are constantly bombarded with images of beautiful clothes for all pockets. We have programmes that help us decide what suits our shape, our colouring and even our age but we all buy the same things so how do we really develop our own style?

Customise! Accessorise!

I'm not a seamstress so making my own clothes is definitely out of the question but I like to embellish what I have and it's not expensive. Putting some clip-on earrings onto a pair of shoes, adding a bow to a plain t-shirt, or even something as simple as putting a kilt pin on the lapel of a jacket all help to make it your own.

I customised this by adding a clip-on earring

A top customised with a bow which was removed from a handbag

Kilt pin made by my Mum!

Accessorising your outfit can also make all the difference. The same black dress can be worn by a room full of women but different pieces of jewellery can make it look dramatically diverse! I'm very lucky in that my mother makes jewellery so I have a ready supply of accessories but having a custom piece made isn't pricey at all (depending on the materials you choose) and in my view is money well spent: you have a one-off piece that you helped design and that shows your style.

So I suppose what I'm trying to say is don't be afraid of finding something that you like and then quite easily turning it into something that you love. You'll end up with something unique and a style that is definitely you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...