Monday 23 January 2012

Lou Lou Chats with M from Evol Heist


Next up in my 'Lou Lou Chats' series, is the lovely M from Evol Heist. I first came across 'Evol Heist' on a friend's Twitter timeline, and was really struck by their pieces. I am loving their latest collection, 'Smoke and Mirrors'. M kindly agreed to answer some questions about what inspires the brand's striking and distinctive pieces.

*****************************************************************************

Describe Evol Heist in three words.

Unusual. Hand-made. Dramatic.


Please tell us more about yourself.

I have come from a Fashion- Marketing background, which was mainly business concentrated, and I found it quite boring as my natural passion comes from transforming visual things, or further developing a simple shape into something that looks like it is from some sci-fi- fashion editorial extravaganza. You know - something pretty distinctive.

I have always made my own jewellery, and most of the time I still customise my own clothes. I used to get compliments in the street and from friends and strangers who wanted to have my personal jewellery pieces made for themselves. I eventually fell into developing EVOL HEIST, creating jewellery collections for people who like to wear things that are quite striking.

What would you say is the Evol Heist signature piece?

Death Grip Duo - £50

Our ‘Death Grip Duo’. Since their release on Halloween 2010, they have been sold to every corner of the world, re-worked with spike studs, UV/ Neon glowing paints for musicians to wear on stage, featured on X-Factor on Little Mix, Big Brother UK (Tom O’ Connell), several magazine fashion editorials, and are still our global best seller over a year later.

What piece from the collection do you wear the most?

I tend to wear our ‘Bone Bracelet’ quite a lot, but I am a little bit obsessed with most pieces from our new collection, ‘Smoke & Mirrors’. I have literally been wearing that entire collection almost every day of the week, since the pieces are so versatile and are so on- point to wear with a winter wardrobe. I have been told that our neck pieces from this collection “really make an outfit”.

Evol 'Eye' necklace - £28

Lolita's Spike Collar - £38

Mirror Gold Collar - £30

One of my favourite pieces from the 'Smoke & Mirrors' collection - Matte Gold Collar - £28


What has been the highlight for you since starting up Evol Heist?

We have had so many highlights. A distinct one is being worn by ‘Little Mix’ on the Halloween show of X-Factor UK, but generally we get to work with musicians across the world designing custom pieces for them which is incredible. We never thought we would be communicating with and meeting musicians we love. We are HUGE music fans.

What motivates you?

My customers and their amazing and inspiring feed- back. Their emails make my day!

What inspires you when you are designing?

Mostly my brain and my subconscious. I have very vivid dreams that could have a distinctive feel to them, which inspires me to design a collection around that, or art direct the look-book containing those elements. I also develop collections based on things I would really love to wear myself. We do consider a certain few guidelines when creating each collection too, like geometry; texture; which era/culture its inspired from etc. The design process is a lot of fun,and I am constantly designing.

What advice would you give to people who are looking to start their own fashion business?

Be obsessed. Be unique.

What’s next for Evol Heist?

Our aim for 2012 is to continue finding great stockists around the world to hold the EVOL HEIST brand; we are currently stocked in Los Angeles - USA and Bristol - UK. Also, to do more jewellery/ designer fairs across the UK. We love meeting our customers and getting people's reaction when they see our pieces.

Where would you like to be in five years time?

Developing a sister- brand, and possibly making bigger things than jewellery!

If you weren’t designing jewellery, what would you be doing?

Probably making cartoons or working in trend-prediction.

Looking back, is there anything that you would have done differently?

Maybe have started doing jewellery fairs at an earlier stage, but other than that, I’m very happy with the choices and decisions we have made!

Top Tip

Stay positive. The world is yours; make of it what you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...